Sunday, October 7, 2012

Retro Mendocino Zig Zag Baby Quilt

In August, Kate and I participated in a Penny Lane Market together and we had fun (who wouldn't have fun when you hang out with your sister and talk quilting ;)

Anyway, I haven't shown any of the quilts that I brought to the market yet. Unfortunately we didn't get any photos of us in our stall together, but here is a photo of some of the quilts hanging on the rack the night before.


(I knicked the photo from Kate, thanks Katie :)

So over the next week or two, I'll show you all of the quilts.

Here's my Mendocino zig zag baby quilt.


For some people the colours might be a little too retro but I really love it, especially as it uses some of my precious Heather Ross Mendocino and other fabrics. I used a technique very similar to Crazy Mom Quilts fantastic tutorial.

It's the first time that I've tried curved corners on a quilt and I enjoyed the process so much I've used it a few times since. The bias binding I used for this was a pre-made Kona robin's egg bias binding, which made it incredibly easy.



Here's a close up of some of the amazing quilting done by Jeannette of The Quilting Platypus. I love the quilting design - it reminds me of waves in the sea, which goes so well with the sea themed prints in the quilt. As I had a tight deadline I knew I couldn't quilt them all myself (I found it difficult to even bind them all in time) and Jeannette does such a wonderful job at a really reasonable price too.



I used my favourite Mendocino print on the back - Giant Octopi in aqua.
It's only a little quilt, but has so much personality!

One quilt down .....12 more to go  .......

3 comments:

  1. totally adorable!!! I am sure it will be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love!! That fabric line is one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is absolutely beautiful! I love the color scheme and those curved edges. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete